Here’s a checklist to make sure you have the culture, skills and processes to create effective, sustainable, marketable content
- Your digital content plan is synched with your market knowledge and advertising and your social media activity.
- You know which platforms (like mobile) your audiences are using and how to write for each.
- You understand how important forms are for conversions and you know how to make them simple and intuitive.
- You dedicate resources to understanding content trends and best practices.
- You generally create content to a written brief.
- You know the target audience for each piece of content you create.
- You know whether an article, tweet, video or infographic is the best way to present content in the most useful way for the user.
- Your writers are well trained in your tone of voice and in writing for digital.
- You have an editorial plan or calendar showing what content should be produced and when.
- You meet regularly to update your calendar as ideas and events change.
- You’re confident that your senior content stakeholders understand good digital copy. (If they don’t, show them.)
- You have a strong process for generating content ideas.
- You have someone who owns copy and oversees changes – wording is not just up for grabs by anyone.
- You have no out-of-date content on the website with, for example, last year’s tech specs or contact details.
- You know when each page will need reviewing or deleting (which shows you’re targeting your content rather than firing aimlessly into the dark).
- You know how to measure the success of each digital piece of content (eg email opens, webpage visits).
- You understand the business value of each of the content metrics you use.